My last post in the series was Lalitha, and now it is C for Charukesi.
This raga, I feel, has an emotional appeal in both Hindustani and Carnatic Classical. This is the 26th melakartha ragam in the scale chart, thus has all 7 swaras.
Aarohanam: S R2 G3 M1 P D1 N2 S
Avarohanam: S N2 D1 P M1 G3 R2 S
Charukesi is called Tarangini as well, and a raga that can emote both devotion and pathos to the listener easily.
Kritis in this raga are few, listed below are fewer still…
- Aadamodigalathe by Thyagaraja
- Kripaya Palaya by Maharaja Swati Tirunaal
- Varnam by Lalgudi Jayaraman
The link below contains a swara piece that I had learnt to perform in an event called Nadabrahmam, composed by Chandrakanthji. I ended up not participating in the main event, still the song lingers…
Now to the only part that most of you read – movie songs in the raga Charukesi. There are some really popular ones, very versatile handling of the raga.
- Vasantha Mullai from Sarangadara
- Manmada Leelayai Vendraar Undo from Haridas
- Aadal Kalaye from Sri Ragavendra
- Thoodhu Selvadhaaradi from Singaravelan
And…. Udhaya Udhaya, a brilliant ARR composition from the movie with the same name… happy listening!
Next up is – V for… Until then,